A trip!

The Wife and I today booked a trip for the end of the year (unofficially Honeymoon No. 2)!

We had promised this trip after booking Thailand for Honeymoon No. 1, but it never quite feels real until you book.

There’s nothing quite like the excitement gathered from travelling, even the planning of it. The expected learning and growth to come out of it, the visiting of new places and meeting new people is addictive and draws us back time after time.

We have one month, flying into Berlin and out of Madrid. Some places we’re thinking of visiting along the way include Dresden, Prague, Vienna, Florence (Pisa, San Gimignano), Rome (with a day trip to Pompeii), Marseilles/Nice, Barcelona and Madrid.

Do you have any suggestions or tips on where we should visit?

(Now for the maniacal saving!)

1. Berlin is fabulous as is Dresden from what I saw and it’s on the train line to Prague.

Do visit Potsdam near Berlin on the city metro trains and Charlottenberg Palace in Berlin too. The Potsdam palaces and garden are exceptional.

If you can manage it try to get to Krakow in Poland with great buildings and streets not to mention the Salt mines with the breath taking cathedral carved out of salt.

08/20/2012 at 00:13

• Thanks Stephen!

We’re thinking of grabbing the train from Berlin to Dresden and hoping off (maybe for a night or so) on the way to Prague.

Thank you for the tips about Potsdam and Charlottenberg Palace – we’ll be sure to check them out.

Unfortunately, with timing and direction I’m not sure if we’ll get to Krakow. My best man’s family is from there and have heard wonderful things. A cathedral carved out of salt? Wowee!

08/20/2012 at 20:33

2. Prague is a definite must! It’s one of my favorite European cities and beautiful in winter. If you’re there during December, check out the Chistmas markets and the concerts in the churches. Germany is also known for its Christmas markets, although I’ve only visited the ones in the southern part of the country. I’ll also be heading to Barcelona & Madrid (for the first time) this December! Have a wonderful second honeymoon!

08/20/2012 at 14:29

• Thanks Mary,

We leave Boxing day and arrive on the 27th – do you think the markets will still be around?

Prague is definitely happening (probably for New Years too).

I hope you have a wonderful trip, Spain sounds amazing. You’ll have to let me know about it before we get there!

(By the way, I love your blog!)

08/20/2012 at 20:35

• Thanks, I appreciate it!

As for the Christmas markets, most are open through December 24th, but some are open until December 31st. If you know what your itinerary is for the first couple of days, I’d be happy to check for you.

Mary

08/21/2012 at 01:08

3. trailofcrumbsblog

I love Prague. Maybe go to Amalfi Coast as well? – Nicole

08/25/2012 at 13:01

• I’d love to travel the Amalfi Coast (also the Cinque Terre). Would it be better to go when it’s warm, though?

08/25/2012 at 13:06

• trailofcrumbsblog

Yeah for sure

08/25/2012 at 13:10

• Having said that – my wife would probably argue that ANYWHERE is better when it’s warm!

08/25/2012 at 13:11

• trailofcrumbsblog

So she likes going to tropical places? A cruise to the Caribbean!!! LOL

08/25/2012 at 22:06

• Ha – going round the Caribbean would be sensational, especially when the cricket’s on!

08/26/2012 at 10:52

4. Thank you for visiting and liking my blog. Your holiday sounds wonderful – how exciting!

08/26/2012 at 22:27