Vietnam – Hanoi

Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Vietnamese Train Line in Hanoi Huc Bridge across Hoan Kiem Lake Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum Vietnamese Train Line through Hanoi Central Watch Tower Hanoi Vietnam French influence St Joseph's Cathedral, Hanoi Cyclo in Hanoi, Vietnam St Joseph's Cathedral in Hanoi, Vietnam Vietnam Street, Hanoi Motorbikes in Hanoi, Vietnam Temple of Literature - Hanoi

1. great pictures of the railway line through the narrow street.

06/16/2013 at 18:01

• Yeah I like it, too. Amazing how life happens so close to the trains and its a busy life, too! Thanks for the feedback!

06/19/2013 at 19:41

• Agree. But I also generally love old railways. In most Asian countries a lot happens by the tracks. I have a few railway track pictures from Sri Lanka in my 2nd last post (“Going Home”) if you are interested. In Sri Lanka they don’t live so close to the tracks but use it as a walking trail.

06/19/2013 at 20:15

• I love that post of yours and thought I’d commented on it but can’t seem to find it – perhaps it didn’t come through!

Would love to visit Sri Lanka – where would you recommend travelling to?

06/19/2013 at 20:17

• I have been there twice, once by motorbike and once (recently) mostly by train. I think a train journey with lots of stops is hard to beat – you see a more rural view of the country and it is a lot more interesting than going by car or bus.
            There is a map of the SLk railways here:
            The main homework you need to do is to ensure that wherever you decide to get off there is somewhere to stay – googling the town name often works, and asking people at the previous place you stay.
            (I esp have this problem on walks – ensuring there is somewhere to stay in a reasonable day’s walking distance).
            Main disadvantage of the railway in SLk is it doesn’t at the moment cover the north (being repaired after the civil war) or far South East.

06/19/2013 at 20:32

2. Wow – that’s great advice! Thanks a lot for that and I look forward to one day being able to utilise it. Indeed, it sounds like very good advice on how to see many countries – a good idea to remember rather than the point-point, destination-hopping that travel can often refine itself to (for me, anyway)

06/19/2013 at 20:34

• The other method I have tried is walking. I used this in Armenia, a not very big country, and the distances between towns with some accomodation was generally 25-38km. I had a magic time – see the posts – though my feet did not thank me. The weather was cool, not much wind, (usu around -3 to +6C) so the walking was comfortable.

06/19/2013 at 20:41