Florence – Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore, Baptistery and Giotto’s Campanile

Duomo5 Duomo3 Duomo1 Duomo2 Duomo4

1. petit4chocolatier

Beautiful pictures!!

08/12/2012 at 21:45

• It’s pretty much impossible to do this building justice. Such amazing history to it as well.

08/12/2012 at 22:42

2. Amazing Beauty… Like a feast for the eyes.

08/12/2012 at 22:15

• It’s a breathtaking structure. I think I would walk into people pretty consistently because I couldn’t concentrate. Interesting that the inside of it is so sparse.

08/12/2012 at 22:43

• That’s probably the ‘why’ for the sparse insides… Who could concentrate with so much to look at? Not I. LOL!

08/18/2012 at 14:17

• You’re not wrong – it’s a feast from the eyes. I believe it stems from the religious beliefs at the time (of the builder). Whereas during the time of the building of St. Peter’s in Rome, Christians believed that the kingdom of heaven would be a gold-laden, magical palace of riches. Contrary to this was the other mode of Christian thinking whereby believers would claim that, as Jesus was a carpenter and a man without wealth in human-terms, Christian churches should be bare to reflect this.

08/18/2012 at 15:39

3. incredible. I love in Italy in the churches all the ceilings and domes that are painted. Especially the beautiful cherubs and gold and other vibrant colors.

08/18/2012 at 14:59

• They are fascinating to look at aren’t they. I especially like the emphasis on Mary in Italian churches.

08/18/2012 at 15:40

4. The interior is not what I expected. It is quite stark compared to the outside. I always just stop and stare at the Duomo every time I go to Florence.

08/19/2012 at 07:37

• Yeah, walking inside is a bit of a shock to the system isn’t it? Especially after devouring the outside!

08/19/2012 at 11:08

5. amyelsie

Fantastic photos! They’re making me jealous 🙂

08/20/2012 at 18:15

• I find them hard to look at because it just makes me want to go back! Have you been?

08/20/2012 at 20:42